4.19.2012

Fort Macon

Monday, I had a doctor's appointment in Morehead City, so Jason was able to do duty on Sunday and get Monday off.  Already being down there, we decided to make a day of it.  We went to Fort Macon for the majority of our time.  I had been there multiple times as a kid because we used to vacation in that area when my grandparents had a condo there, but J had never been before, and I knew he would love it, being military related.  I was right, and we had a blast.  It was fun seeing all of it as an adult, though.  I had a new respect for it this time around.  Afterwards, we drove up Emerald Isle and looked at all the beach houses.  Towards the end of the island, we stopped in to have cheeseburgers at one of our favorites, Andy's, and did some browsing in the little beach stores, stopping to talk to a few of the shop owners.  It's such a slow pace of life there, and everyone is so friendly and willing to chat.  And then we headed home.  Such a fun day.  I love that we live so close to these types of places, and just being in Morehead City/Atlantic Beach brings so many fond memories back for me.   And to wrap it up, I thought I would share some pictures from the day.

The beach outside of Fort Macon.




A small museum of local beach information and fort history is in the visitor's center.  J helping to spear a whale, hehe.

The main part of the fort.





J is quite the sneaky cameraman...he doesn't get the camera often.

Silly...

View from the top wall.




Inside the main part.

Replica of what the food storage was like.

Replica of what the chow hall looked like.

These rooms were linked barracks rooms where the guys slept.  Cool picture, huh?!

Showing how the barracks room were laid out.

The main entrance to the fort.


2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh this is cool to see again! We should do that again next time we're down there. How did you get the picture of you and Jason together? Did you get the remote thingy?
Love you!

Renea said...

We go to Fort Macon every year we go to AB...which brings me to tell you we will be there on vacay 9/8 - 9/15, Oakley is coming with us too. Lets schedule a time to get together while we are there!!!